J.Crew UES Men's Shop

Aug 24, 2010

I have a love/hate relationship with J.Crew in that I hate how much I love some of their stuff. To many people I know, they're just another large chain exploiting the latest trends and still making most of their garments overseas. But with some of the best collaborations this side of the Pacific and a growing amount of well-crafted and well-curated goods, it's hard to keep yourself from shopping there. Lately I've been visiting the Men's Shop in SoHo (484 Broadway, the address ingrained in my mind after they named their slim-cut denim after it) whenever I have some free time before class. With the recent debut of their fall collection in store, I've found myself a kid in a candy store again, glowing as I pass my hands over the Alden snuff suede boots or Ludlow flannel blazer. The past few times I've been there I've almost felt I've outstayed my welcome, though the staff are more than accommodating.


That being said, the opening of the new UES Men's Shop on 1040 Madison Avenue is a welcome addition to the growing number of cool shops near me that I will spend my time loitering, just a stone's throw from the Met. GQ sums the new shop up rather well: "The two-story store, which opens to the public this afternoon, makes its home on the site of a former bank. Besides the façade, and a vault which now houses hand-selected vintage pieces, the fixtures from the space's financial past are no longer intact. In their place are all of the lived-in and comfortable items you've come to love from J.Crew: coffee table books from the likes of Malcolm McLaren and Robert Longo, and imported Japanese fashion magazines; limited-edition collaborations and matured-to-perfection vintage finds; and a few items that will be sold exclusively at the UES location."


To myself, it appears to be an attempt by J.Crew at reaching the more upscale, conservative, business-types of the area; and unfortunately that means slightly higher prices. Of course with prices raised, the quality of fabrics and curated goods are also raised. Take into account this cashmere Ludlow suit:

Jacket, $995, and pants, $495, sold separately
Or their exclusive retail deal with Swaine, a British brand of fine luggage goods (with hidden flasks?) from rugged leather document cases to umbrellas:

Luggage starting at $1,590
And possibly my favorite, exclusive wingtips from Crockett & Jones:

$575 at the new shop
All images besides the first one are via GQ. If you hate clicking through their slideshows as I do, the rest of the photos are included after the jump.
































1 comments:

rebecca

whoa. my husband will be happy to know he only has to head to madison ave now!

Post a Comment