Web Presence

Nov 20, 2011

In case you've been wondering why I've been posting a little less lately, it's because I started my first full-time job this month and I've become increasingly busy. There's this quote by hip-hop artist Drake that rings true to me and might also help explain why myself and a lot of my friends have lessened the frequency of the time we spend online:
"I'm really scared for my generation, you know. The thing that scares me most is Tumblr. I hate what Tumblr has become. Because it like, it reminds me of those clique-y girls in high school that used to make fun of everyone and define what was cool, but in five years, when you all graduate, that shit doesn't matter. No one gives a fuck about that shit. Instead of kids going out and making their own moments, they're just taking these images and living vicariously through other people's moments. It just kills me. Then you'll meet them and they're just the biggest turkey in the world. They don't actually embody any of those things. They just emulate. It's scary man, simulation life that we're living. It scares me."
Tumblr is just one of many blogging platforms this applies to. I've read a lot of blogs, and I'm glad that so many people are immersing themselves in their interests and creating thriving online communities based on them. It's important for me to touch base and be in the know about the things I love, I enjoy that. But I'm finding that too many people in similar positions get caught up in their dreaming and forget to experience life offline.

That being said, if you're trying to create a name for yourself online or something ridiculous like that, I may have a few tips for you. I can tell you what works for myself is not being an asshole and not being a try-hard. Whatever blogs you read now, don't try to emulate them. Know yourself, know what you like, and build an online identity based off of that. Keep away from fads and anything that doesn't fit with who you are, and create some real content; don't just post pictures that you think are cool. Be weary of collaborations, advertising and free products (nothing is ever truly free), but unless they don't fit with your identity, don't entirely dismiss them. If you can, go out and meet other bloggers and talk with them, not only will you learn a lot but you may even get a good friend out of it. Lastly, there will be a dry patch at first unless you've had a running start, just stick with it and if it's something you truly enjoy, eventually other people who enjoy it will find it too. None of your favorite blogs started out with thousands of readers, they got to where they are by being real and by being smart.

This is may be my last post for a short while with the holidays approaching, but if you are craving more and haven't already seen, here are some other projects I feel extremely privileged to have been a part of:





Details Magazine: The New Voices of Menswear (Also in print in the November issue!)



Also, I know I haven't posted about womenswear in quite a while, but I wanted to share that one of my favorite brands, G1 Goods (whom I've written about in the past), recently launched one of my favorite collections of the season, check it out if you feel so inclined.

4 comments:

Zack

What's your new full-time gig?

Mallory | The Storm in a Teacup

Digging that G1 Goods

Web Developers Delhi

Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

Start Business in Delhi

very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

Post a Comment