Look: The Date

May 26, 2010


Lately there's been a lot of posts around the blogosphere about how a guy should act and dress on such an occasion. With all of the opinions floating around, there remains some ambiguity over the appropriate way to act and dress. I think the most important thing is to just be yourself; don't try to play yourself up... in fact, don't even try. Just do what comes naturally. Whether it's holding the door or paying for the check, if it doesn't feel right; don't do it. Same rule applies for how you should dress.

Now, for this look I didn't exactly take my advice to heart (I doubt I'll ever own an $1800 dinner jacket, much less wear it on a casual date), but I did my best incorporate it . With a comfortable shirt and your favorite pair of jeans on (secured with your favorite belt so you don't have to worry about them slipping or sagging), you'll feel and act natural. Comfortable shoes are also important, and I don't think anything's more comfortable than Quoddy moccasins wrapped around your feet. Of course this could very well be the way you dress everyday, so I'd recommend adding a dinner jacket to spice things up. A shawl collar dinner jacket is perfect for looking and feeling casual without being underdressed. Optional accessories are a sleek, slim tie or bow tie (though Carol Han seems to hate on them for being to "precious") and some black socks to keep your dogs from sweating and slipping around. I'd also recommend keeping a handkerchief in your blazer should your hands get to sweaty or you spill something (handkerchiefs come in handy, you know) Finally, to top things off just before you head out, take a couple of shots of your favorite medicine for some liquid confidence. Just don't overdo it, and you should be perfectly at ease and certain to win any girl's heart.

3 comments:

T-O-M

I bet my Bulleit bourbon would love that flask while that pocket square would do some great double-duty as a handkerchief offered to clean the chin of my girl after an overzealous slug was taken out of there.

TheStreetFashion5xpro

great mix...very chic...gorgeous blog

aTreasuryOf

Oh no.

I was vicariously excited for you to own that blazer.

But it's just a dream piece.

C'est la vie.

Post a Comment